Tuesday 25 March 2008

Fir(e)cones

Nine week cruise - day 57 - Saturday 27th August 2005

Stone to Fradley





geese on the T&M

Another early start - up at 0550 and under way at 0610 - this really is the very best time to be boating. Everything is so quiet and still, and I'm sure you see more wildlife. It was geese this morning, hordes of them. The photos were taken (by David, as always) at about 0830, and I'm fairly sure it was just south of Aston Lock. That's Tigger on the bow, by the way. One of us found him somewhere, and so he became our figurehead.

David discovered that portable CD players break when dropped on the deck. We had just passed Rugeley, so he cycled back to look for a Dixons to replace it, but there was no Dixons.

At Shugborough we collected lots of fircones to use as firelighters. Incidentally, I'm still (2008) using them as firelighters in the barbecue: a pyramid of four, charcoal placed round and over, ignite, and your mother's brother is called Robert. (Actually, I haven't yet had a BBQ this year, but there are still fir(e)cones left, in case the weather improves.) Jan shopped at Little Haywood general stores.


The Swan, Fradley Junction

At about 2000 we moored at Fradley Junction. Ate on board: cottage pie, followed by apple pie and custard.

2 comments:

Nev Wells said...

I agree about the dawn crusing - just I have this problem with my head and the pillow.

Stone to Fradley is a very long days cruising, and must rely on getting a few locks your way.

Can't wait to get on board again a do the same route (might take two days for it!)

Nev

Halfie said...

Nev - we did lots of long days. I wanted to cover the maximum mileage possible while we had the boat, so twelve hour days were common. No doubt when I have my own boat, and the time to spend on it, I'll calm down a bit!

When I've finished writing up our nine week cruise I'll go back over it and add the stats about distance, locks and hours.

I, too, can't wait to get back on board. I'm seriously envious of those who live within spitting distance of a canal or who already have their own boat...

Halfie.