Thursday, 28 June 2012

Making a window for the side hatch (2)

A couple of weeks ago I wrote about how I'd made a window from polycarbonate for the side hatch. Here is the photo I published at the time.

I remarked that it hadn't, at that stage, been "soak tested" - a few days later there was a leaking lock side.

Then, of course, there was as much rain as I could have wished for to give it a really good test! I'm pleased to say that it performed faultlessly. Not one drop entered the cabin. Mike left a comment on the original post asking for more details, so here are a couple more close-ups.

The plastic sheet is held in place by the hinges.

To prevent the sheet slipping down, I screwed blocks of wood to it at the bottom. But I have found that it sits perfectly on the steelwork.

At the top the overhanging lip ensures no water can get in from above.

I haven't yet replace the blocks of wood with something more sympathetic. When I have, I'll let you know.


Nb Duxllandyn said...

Thank you for the pics and explanation. Now need to have a go at making one for myself! :-)

Nb Duxllandyn

Halfie said...

Mike - I think I was very fortunate in the measurements I took and in the way the plastic was cut precisely to those measurements. I hadn't planned that the hinges would hold it in, but I'm glad they do!