Over the last few days I have been building a log store against an outbuilding. Inspired by helping with the reroofing of the outbuilding earlier this year I decided to make it with a tiled roof.
I wanted to use bits and pieces I had lying around. First I nailed together some of the old timbers from the original outbuilding roof to make two frames, one for the back and one for the front. The back one has vertical timbers with four longer horizontal timbers between them. The front frame is two verticals and two horizontals making a rectangle. The verticals are shorter than those of the back frame so that the roof has a pitch.
I added some diagonal battens for strength and joined the two frames together with horizontal battens making the sides.
I nailed some more battens on the sides to prevent logs falling out. To finish the job I need to put barge boards on the end rafters to prevent wind and rain getting under the tiles - and to make it look nicer. I couldn't immediately find anything suitable but I'm sure I'll have something somewhere.
The black pipe, by the way, is a temporary connection to the downpipe from the outbuilding gutter. A major job for the future is to dig a soakaway for it.
Jan said I should have gone yesterday - Jan told me I should have gone for the walk yesterday when the weather was better. I hate it when she is right! The temperature this morning was 1°C in...
9 hours ago