Saturday 14 May 2022

Buttercups and blossom

We made an earlier start then usual, leaving our mooring at 0815. We made swift progress to Kilby Bridge, all the locks being in our favour for a change. The buttercups added extra brightness to our surroundings.
At Kilby Bridge we watered up, then moved across to the 48 hour moorings so I could cycle off to get a paper. The first newsagent up Welford Road didn't have what I wanted, so I cycled on into Wigston and ended up cramming my panier with stuff from Sainsbury's and Aldi.

The crane at Kilby Bridge is a local landmark.
Today has felt like summer. The sun shone all day and it has been warm. Here is Jubilee heading towards yet another lock, now on the River Soar. Since Kilby Bridge I had to turn nearly every lock as we were following two boats. Oh, and I cycled almost the entire distance from Newton Harcourt to Leicester, where we moored at Castle Gardens.
When I looked closely at some hawthorn blossom I saw how intricately detailed it was.
At Castle Gardens there is room for three usual-length narrowboats. When we arrived, two boats had moored in such a way as to leave no space for anyone else. Fortunately one agreed to move up a little, and we then tied up successfully.

We walked into Leicester city centre and marvelled at how busy with people it was. And how many fast food shops there were!

We did a bit more than on the schedule today as rain is forecast for tomorrow. Oh yes - hello to a blog reader on Cleddau whom we passed today.

No comments: