Sunday 15 January 2012

Waterways past and present

This is the other book I bought from Oxfam a few days ago.


"Waterways past and present" is 160 pages of Derek Pratt's photographs with a few lines of text accompanying each one. As well as his gorgeous colour pictures of canal scenes there are black-and-white comparison photos, many taken in the 1970s. The blurb seems to indicate that Derek took these as well, but there is at least one from 1958 of boats on the Coventry Canal. Is this his work too?

I didn't recognise the cover photo, and I couldn't even decipher the name on the lock cottage. I had to look in the book for the answer. But do you know where this is?

4 comments:

Vallypee said...

What a find! The cover pic is gorgeous, but I guess I'll have to wait to find out where it is.

Lesley NB Caxton said...

Sandiacre lock or the Erewash canal.

Only because I have a signed copy of the very same book!!
Lesley

Halfie said...

Absolutely right, of course, Lesley.

Ken said...

You are lucky, I have been looking in all the charity shops for years but never found one canal related book. Ken