Thursday 19 January 2012

Netherton Tunnel ventilation shaft

When I'm cruising through a tunnel I always like to glance up at the sky through every ventilation shaft. To take a photo while on the move is quite hard as it's a sort of "blink-and-you-miss-it" thing. On my compact camera there's no time for the autofocus to work properly - it's a case of pointing in roughly the right direction, i.e. upwards, and hoping for the best. A quite good thing is that the camera doesn't get swamped in a deluge.


This is my attempt while passing through Netherton Tunnel on the BCN last April. According to the metadata the shutter speed was 1/52, hence the blurriness of the image. That, and the fact that it probably wasn't in focus!

Of course, it would be possible to "cheat" and stop the boat under a shaft so as to be able to take a bit of time over the photo, but, so far, I haven't really thought it that important.


The ventilation shafts in canal tunnels were actually construction shafts through which spoil was removed while the tunnel was being dug.

2 comments:

Vallypee said...

Canals, tunnels, sunshine. It all looks too lovely from where I'm sitting in a gale force wind in Zeeland.

Halfie said...

Looks good to me too! That was April, this is January - wet and breezy here too!