Prop's away - take three
I had cycled ahead to set Stoke Bottom Lock on the W&B and, while waiting for Kew to come along, I watched what was going on at the boatyard.
The man on the bank tied a rope to a boathook and poked it under the back of the boat. The man in the boat, reaching through the weedhatch, grabbed the rope and tied it to the propeller/propshaft. Then he pushed the propshaft backwards out of the boat, presumably stuffing something into the hole to stop too much water coming in, and the man on the bank pulled on his end of the rope.
This is where things went wrong. As the prop and shaft broke the surface the knot came undone - and the heavy metal fell into the canal.
The man poked around with the boathook for a while but was obviously getting nowhere. I suggested to him that a Sea Searcher might be what he needed, so he went off to get one.
By this time Kew had been through the lock and tied up. I got Kew's Sea Searcher to add to the boatyard's to see if double the strength would make sufficient difference. It did not.
Step forward David, who is used to getting wet. No point in pussy-footing around, let's just go in and get it.
(Brings a smile to my face every time I see that photo!)
One of the reasons the Sea Searchers didn't work on the propshaft was that it was covered in grease: the magnets simply slid off the end.
While David went off to have a shower the boatyard boss handed over a decent paper thank-you, and the excitement was over.
Until the next time.
Turn left for Middlewich - So we left our mooring at Bate's Mill and Al walked up to the already empty lock. We went in with anticipation as everyone had warned us of the swirl you g...
13 hours ago