Friday 1 February 2013

Paddington Basin reflections

Paddington Basin, the terminus of the Paddington Branch of the Grand Union Canal in London, is surrounded by new-looking high-rise buildings. These crowd in on the waterway, seemingly jostling for the best position. Last month I took three photos there, and here they are.

I like these reflections ...

... which are part of the first photo.

The building at the end, resembling part of a giant electric shaver or perhaps a toast rack on its side, appears to be called "Grand Union" (photo two).

Looking this up, however, it seems that the name refers only to an upmarket bar, presumably on the ground floor. If I remember correctly the rest is a hotel (photo three).

I wonder how many of the clientele appreciate the significance of the name.

5 comments:

Graham said...

The "Grand Union" building does indeed look like a toast rack. In fact it looks like a specific toast rack. Old Hall, of Walsall, made one designed by Robert Welch. Here is a picture of one for sale on eBay.

Graham said...

Sorry, I forgot to add the link, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OLD-HALL-CAMPDEN-STAINLESS-STEEL-ROBERT-WELCH-TOAST-RACK-5-BAR-/290854610547?pt=UK_HG_Crockery_RL&hash=item43b8492673

Halfie said...

Thanks Graham. There used to be a building in Manchester - I think it was either a UMIST or a Manchester University building - in a similar toast rack style, but the "right" way up.

Vallypee said...

Lovely photos, Halfie. I love this part of the canal myself.

Halfie said...

Thanks Val.