Saturday, 23 February 2013

Do I sell our share in Shadow now, or after the two weeks we have at Easter?

A small dilemma. We won't want to hang on to our half share in (BCBM-managed) Shadow when the time comes for us to have exclusive access to Jubilee. That time will be either when Ally and Ben can buy a house, or the summer of 2014 - whichever is sooner.

So what's the dilemma?

We have managed to join a "low-season" week to a "high-season" week at Easter, giving us two consecutive weeks on board Shadow. Now this "instant" holiday, coupled with the fact that our holding is a valuable half-share, could be just what a potential buyer is looking for.

Of course, a two week cruise with only four weeks' notice might not be possible for many people.

But there's another element to come into play: BCBM are having a "share show" in Nantwich next weekend (2nd and 3rd March 2013): potential buyers might just be tempted by the savings on offer from a half-share.

Shadow is looking really good at the moment, having just been blacked; and all the interior lights are now LED units. They really work a treat, and give no less light than the fluorescent tubes they replaced. There's now a Victron Centaur battery charger on board, which keeps the batteries fully charged while on the shore line at the marina.


I'm looking forward to a proper fortnight's cruise, which starts on the very day I say "goodbye" to a third of a century of working for the BBC. So should I put our half-share on the market, and possibly lose out on a nice "retirement cruise", or should I hang on until after Easter, and put it on the market then?


I realise that this is my "problem" - I'm not really expecting you, dear reader, to dispense advice (but feel free!).

Oh - I forgot to say yesterday - fellow blogger Kevin from shared boat Tranquility made himself known to me as we were just about to drive from Wigram's Turn to Milton Keynes. It was good to meet you, Kevin, and perhaps we'll meet on the cut some day. I should say, perhaps we'll meet again on the cut some day, as we shared a quick exchange of boat-to-boat greetings on one occasion in the past.

10 comments:

Neil Corbett said...

I don't understand. Why don't you wait until 2014 to sell your share? Anyway, I certainly wouldn't sell before the 'retirement' cruise.
Kath (nb Herbie)

Chris Trotman (Black Swan, moored behind Shadow) said...

.. and I don't understand why you think that if you put the share up for sale now that the whole deal could be completed so quickly, surveys, finance etc. such that you couldn't still have the retirement cruise. You could even make it a condition of the sale that transfer is after that.

Kevin said...

Simples...
Wait until you need to sell and enjoy your retirement cruise, what's the rush?

Neil Corbett said...

On the other hand, just to contradict my better half (above). A bird in the hand . .

I suppose it all depends on your judgement about how easy or hard it is to sell shares in the current climate.

I agree with Chris too. Why not sell it with an agreement to handover after your planned cruise. You might even offer a small discount to cover this.

Neil

Halfie said...

Kath, Chris, Kevin and Neil, thank you for your comments. The thing is, the inducement of a guaranteed two weeks at Easter might be just the thing needed to sell the share. We have no more guaranteed weeks this year, and I can't imagine anyone would want to buy something with no benefit for what could be 12 months.

Nev Wells said...

Halfie,

I'd take the cruise, a perfect way to start your retirement. If you don't you will have a very bad canal itch to scratch before 2014 and will end up hiring.... You will have your 2014 holidays for the prospective buyers to use ?

Nev

Brian and Diana on NB Harnser http://nbharnser.blogspot.com said...

Put it up for sale, if it goes you could hire or put the kids in a Holiday Inn, if it doesnt then you use it.

Val Poore said...

I can't comment from any sensible position here, but if it were me, I'd have the cruise. After all, it's only an incentive to the buyer for this year. It can't be that much of an incentive, especially at such short notice, and presumably any buyer is looking to the longer term in any event. Nice dilemma to have, though!

Anonymous said...

Well, you've got so many boating blogging friends that you'll never be short of cruising options :-D

Greygal, whom you met, has just sold nb Greyhound, in the sure knowledge that her nb Henry H will be ready one day and that, in the meantime, Indigo Dream is hers for the asking :-D

Sue, nb Indigo Dream

Neil Corbett said...

Ah! Silly me. When you said 'a half share' I thought you had a lot of cruising still to come. But as it is just half A share I agree with Diane and Brian - let the kids have a holiday somewhere and you enjoy Jubilee! If it sells before Easter of course :-)
Kath (nb Herbie)