Thursday 15 March 2012

There's more to Pode Hole than I thought

This is where I parked up for my coffee on Tuesday (hot water from flask added to coffee grounds in cafétiere). The building on the right is the original Pode Hole Pumping Station, but I didn't realise that at the time.


I did, however, take a photo. The building used to house a beam engine, and is now, apparently, a museum.


On the side, unmissably, are the bye-laws of the Deeping Fen Trustees dated 1876 (or, as the bye-laws themselves put it, the 18th year of the reign of Her Majesty Queen Victoria). They are almost legible if you click to enlarge the photo.


Under the window in the centre of the photo is another thing I didn't spot at the time: the keystone of Sharps Bridge, dated 1806. Perhaps the bridge was demolished when the pumping station was built, and the keystone incorporated as a memento.

No comments: