Saturday 10 March 2012

Ships of the fens

The best things about my day in Cambridge yesterday were the two train rides, followed by the four cycle rides. Well, the cycle rides were either side of the two train rides, but you know what I mean. The actual work was tough, and I'd had to leave a poorly Jan behind - she'd had to take a very rare day off sick. (She's feeling better today.)


As it happened, the most convenient seat on the four coach train from Norwich (I boarded at Wymondham) was immediately by my bike, with the loo completely obscuring the view to my right and no window on my left. So I read my Canal Boat magazine, and looked up when approaching Ely.


I snapped off a few photos, but it's always tricky timing things to get a clear shot through the trees. Here's Ely cathedral, the Ship of the Fens, towering above some more modestly sized ships of the fens.

After work I cycled along the Cam, past a dark Lucky Duck, and then across Midsummer Common following the directions to the station. I lost the trail after Parker's Piece, so I rejoined the road traffic and went down Hills Road and Station Road.

2 comments:

Vallypee said...

Lovely shot of Ely Cathedral, Halfie. I'm so sorry I've been such an infrequent visitor lately. It's not for lack of interest - just lack of time! Still, I'll be back next month when things are a bit quieter.

Halfie said...

VallyP, it's entirely up to you whether or not you visit my blog - there's no need to apologise! Always happy to receive your comments, though.