Saturday 14 May 2016

Two things you might not have known about Cropredy

What are they, you ask? I'll come to that in a bit. First, we moved from Fenny Compton Wharf after I'd cycled to the Co-op in the village for a paper (and some profiteroles). It was good to be steering the boat again, and we had the lovely Claydon Locks as a bonus. We stopped for lunch and I contemplated repairing a puncture, but decided to swap bikes and carry on lock wheeling using Jan's.

Here is our first Oxford Canal lift bridge. Jan was steering meaning that I could get a rare photo from the bow.

Here's the thorn which caused the puncture. It went in to the hilt, through a "puncture resist" tyre. The penny is for scale.

We stopped in Cropredy on a 24 hour mooring just above the lock. Jan went for a walk round the village and I attended to the bike (rear wheel, of course). While I was fixing the inner tube I discovered another smaller puncture. That tube now has 13 repairs! I will give up on it when one of the repairs gets a hole in it. Until then I see no reason not to continue patching it up.

After tea on board (roast chicken followed by apple crunch and custard) we both went for a walk in Cropredy. This is where the title of this post comes in.

One thing you might not have known about Cropredy is that it has a road called "Cup and Saucer". What a strange name! Can another Cup and Saucer exist elsewhere in Britain?

Another thing you might not have known about Cropredy is that it has a road sign declaring, simply, "Backside".

The plaque attached to the sign explains that the road was so called as it served the backs of the farms facing the High Street.

That's it for now - poor signal and a battery is about to run out ...

5 comments:

KevinTOO said...

According to the Royal Mail Post Code lookup...
'Cup And Saucer' is the only road of that name in the
UK, however 'Backside' is not listed as a road name...
Hope that helps?

Vallypee said...

I love these random facts, Halfie, and what a lot of punctures!

Andy Tidy said...

Have you ever tried the self sealing inner tubes. I cant prove they work but I havn't had a puncture since I fitted them ;-)

Halfie said...

Andy, no, I haven't tried those inner tubes, and if you can't prove that they work ... !

Halfie said...

Kevin, I should have made it clearer that "Backside" is what the road used to be called; the sign still exists with a plaque giving the explanation.