Saturday 28 May 2016

Sun shines on the Crick Boat Show

Day one of the Crick Show. The Boaters' Christian Fellowship stand is in the usual marquee but in a slightly different place. It's a corner position and we think it's an even better spot than last year.

Here Gwyneth is adding the finishing touches.

The sun brought out the crowds; we talked to lots of people and gained three new members. The BCF is sharing its stand with the Waterways Chaplains; a closely allied group. I omitted to take any photos of the stand "in action"; I'll try to make amends tomorrow.

Walking round the site I bumped into several people I knew. This happens with increasing frequency at every event we go to. All I bought was some oil. There seems to be less in the way of "practical" chandlery this year, but plenty of the pricey gadgets and knick-knacks.

In the afternoon Jan and I took tea in the vintage-style tea room in the Waterways World VIP marquee, after which I sat in on the last half of a seminar on boat maintenance. This turned out to be exactly the same as one I went to last year.

The musicians among us had a run-through on Derek and Judy's boat Firoza of the songs we'll be playing in the service tomorrow morning. This will be in the beer tent as usual (but I don't think the bar will be open!)

The beer tent was the venue for tonight's evening entertainment, Blondie tribute band "Blondied".

They were good but extremely loud. (Or am I getting old?) The drummer especially was giving it his all.

No comments: