Thursday 9 August 2012

Underneath the Worcester and Birmingham Canal in Birmingham

While we were on Jubilee in Birmingham last month I decided to find where the Worcester and Birmingham Canal crosses Holliday Street.


This is it - a lovely cast iron bridge topped off with brick. The brickwork looks in poor condition - the shrubbery growing out of it won't help.


To the left the railway line from New Street Station to Longbridge - the line which runs alongside the northern end of the W&B - runs in a tunnel. I couldn't see any evidence of this, but I didn't try very hard.

I'm glad I found this bridge. It would have been easy to continue to criss-cross overhead ignorant of the engineering and beauty below.

1 comment:

Vallypee said...

What beautiful detail on the bridge. It's very well preserved.