Friday 10 August 2018

Now THAT'S what I call a log cabin

I couldn't resist another pic of the Chinese Bridge in Godmanchester, especially as the duck posed so nicely.

Not long after we set off this morning the rain started. It varied in intensity as we travelled, and stopped when we tied up four and a half hours later. Then the sun came out. I managed to take a few photos nevertheless.

At Brampton Mill I was pleasantly surprised to see the water wheel turning. Not that you can see it move in this photo.

Further upstream we saw a beautiful wooden cabin complete with log store. I want one!

St Neots Lock is another unusual one: long and thin. This could take two narrowboats … end to end. Two our size (55'), that is.

As I cycled to St Ives (to get the car) I met … a turf maze. Which I walked (of course). There were no choices of direction to make as it is unicursal, i.e. in the form of a single track wound back and forth with no forks etc.

It was in the village of Hilton, which has one of only eight turf mazes in the country.

We have arrived at St Neots, which is where the IWA Festival of Water will be held in a fortnight. We are moving on tomorrow, though, as we continue our journey to the head of navigation the other side of Bedford. We shall return!

No comments: