Sunday 12 August 2018

Ally: "We've bought a bed and it won't fit in our car. Can you help?"

Today we were supposed to be going to Bedford but, as mentioned yesterday, our route is blocked by a submerged fallen tree. We are hoping the Environment Agency might tackle the problem tomorrow. Meanwhile we wait it out at Great Barford.

There are worse places we could be. Great Barford has a well-stocked general stores/Post Office and a riverside pub, The Anchor, outside which we are moored.

We went to the Methodist Church in the village this morning and resisted the tempting roast lunch smells coming from The Anchor at lunch time. After our usual salad I washed the boat and was just about to read the paper when we had a request for help from our daughter. Ally and Ben had bought a bed from Ikea in Bletchley and discovered it wouldn't quite fit in their car. Would I be able to drive over and put it in the Volvo? Yes, but our car was in St Neots. Ally drove here, picked me up and delivered me to St Neots and I was able to sort them out. We ended up at their house in Cranfield, Beds, where we had tea and I emptied our Elsan cassette. Cunning, eh? Facilities seem thin on the ground on the Upper Great Ouse.

Now I'll have to do another car/bike shuffle to get the car back to St Neots. And the forecast is for rain tomorrow. We shall see.  Perhaps if I do it in the morning the tree might be dealt with at the same time.

No comments: