It was all going reasonably well. I'd replaced the broken plastic drain tap on the bowl under the filter with a bolt and copper washer. I'd replaced two of the O-rings and both the large rubber washers. (But I couldn't find where one of the three supplied O-rings was supposed to go - when I asked a neighbour he said I didn't need to replace any of them.)
With it all bolted back together I turned on the fuel stopcock and opened the bleed screw on the top of the filter housing.
And then I realised that the fuel line from the tank goes up before it comes down. In other words, it has to siphon out past the stopcock.
Well, no-one told me!!! Is this standard practice? I don't recall Tony Brooks mentioning it in his training guide.
Here is the outlet from the fuel tank (mostly hidden behind the big plastic hose) only just below deck level. There are actually two pipes: the one on the left is the leak-off pipe carrying fuel back to the tank from the injector pump.
I can report that diesel has the consistency in the mouth of olive oil, and a slightly similar taste. I shan't be cooking with it, though, and I can't say that I'm looking forward to my next tasting.
Quite a bit of crud came through, probably as a result of my having stirred things up when I blew into the tank. After the worst had gone I reconnected the pipe to the filter housing and switched on the stopcock. This time fuel immediately started gushing out of the bleed screw, which I hastily screwed down.
At last I might have successfully replaced a fuel filter. Horrible job. And there's one more to go: there's a spin-on filter mounted on the engine.
To make sure I hadn't introduced air into the system I started the engine which, thankfully, ran perfectly smoothly for half-an-hour. Then I went to Ally and Ben's house where I had a drink of milk!
When I returned to the boat in the evening there was a strong smell of diesel. This I put down to my exploits earlier in the day, so I wasn't too worried. In the morning the smell was still there, and when I felt around the filter I detected a fair amount of wet. I managed to tighten the fuel pipe connector a bit more, and the central bolt holding the filter unit together a lot more. This was on Monday/Tuesday. When I left the boat on Thursday the outside of the filter was dry and the smell had diminished significantly, so I'm hoping the job's a good un.
As well as being horrible.
Another project completed - Jan and I fitted the drawer and fridge slides into the Isuzu this afternoon. One minor piece of the project to complete. I need to connect the 12V powe...
3 hours ago