Sunday 27 October 2013

Preparing for the storm by lashing down the solar panels

We decided not to impose further on Ally and Ben so we drove home to Norfolk today. Before leaving Jubilee I wanted to make sure the solar panels wouldn't blow away in the event of the promised high winds. As I was saying yesterday, the panels merely rest on the roof.

I threaded both centre ropes through the panels' fixing brackets and tied them down on the port side to a fender eye on the gunnel; and on the starboard side to the roof furniture bracket..

I also passed a rope from one side of the boat to the other, taking it over the gangplank on top of the panels. This rope I also fixed to the fender eyes on the gunnels.

The chimney is a very firm fit, so I think it should survive strong winds, but the coolie hat is a different matter.

I tied this to the chimney with a bit of wire. Perhaps Ben should take it off altogether tonight.

If the storm happens as predicted, we might be in for rain like we experienced in Chester on Friday.

No comments: