Wednesday 10 August 2011

Like peas in a pod ...

... because they ARE peas in a pod.


Many years ago I tried growing peas, but had no success. So I gave up, and grew potatoes and other things instead. This year we were given some pea seeds (they looked just like dried peas - funny, that!) which I sowed. And look what came up! We've picked them all now, and have harvested enough peas for about six portions, eating the last today and freezing enough for one meal. They were very tasty, but took an enormous amount of work. This was on account of having to water them every day during the drought. If I grow them again I'll have to sow far more to make it worth it.

Back to waterways tomorrow.

3 comments:

Bill Rodgers said...

When I was a kid, my grandfather's gift to our family was a huge vegetable garden in out back yard. My brother, Richard and I were responsible for shucking the peas until my mother figured out that the poor yield was due to Richard and I eating half of peas we shucked. They were so sweet and tasty that I can't eat canned peas and barely tolerate frozen. Thanks for the memory jog.

Halfie said...

My pleasure, Bill. Yes, a pea straight from the pod is a bit of a taste sensation!

Vallypee said...

Nothing like them. I'm guessing you'll want to grow a lot more in future.