Tuesday 8 June 2010

Railway rails on the canal system


On our walk along the Stratford-on-Avon Canal I noticed that the small replica mileposts installed by SONACS, the Stratford-upon-Avon Canal Society, were often accompanied by upended lengths of rail. These are, I assume, the remnants of the original mileposts as erected by the Great Western Railway, which took over the canal in 1865. As I had my GPS device with me I looked about me at the quarter miles, and spotted more rails hidden in the undergrowth.

The Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal, which we walked a couple of years ago, has many similar pieces of rail, used there to denote the company's boundary.

This is the view from above...


... and from the side. This one is by the Nant Monasgin aqueduct.


And this is at Llangynidr top lock:


Railway rails are used on many canals at water level as reinforcement or protection on the approaches to bridge holes. I've just spent the last hour searching through my photos, but I can't find any examples.

(There must be a more elegant term than "railway rails" but I can't think what it is.)

No comments: