The next job we tackled was the replacing of the engine alternator belt. All was going well until we found that the large diameter pulley for the domestic alternator would have to come off before the engine alternator belt could be removed. This is, apparently, a known thing with Isuzu engines - it's exactly the same on Grace, Terry and Christine's (Isuzu powered) boat.
So we put it all back together again. The engine alternator belt was on its last legs, hanging on - almost literally - by a thread.
After waving goodbye to Terry and Chris we moved on to Wharf House Narrowboats where we found that the engineer was off site. We were directed across the cut to Union Canal Carriers, where their engineer, Jono, had the tools for the job and quickly had the pulley off and the belt replaced. He pointed out that the engine alternator's pulley was the wrong one inasmuch as it doesn't match the other pulleys the belt touches. That explained, Jono said, why the old belt was in such a bad state (although it's been on for at least three years).
I spent more money today on a new set of mooring lines from Tradline Ropes and Fenders; also a pot of the Captain's sealant as mentioned above. Oh, and a spare engine alternator belt.
As we were preparing to continue up the Braunston Locks (we'd stopped above the second lock for lunch while it rained) we saw our old shared ownership boat Shadow in the bottom lock.
They came back to Jubilee afterwards where we spent a most enjoyable evening showing them round the boat, chatting and drinking whisky.
|Christine, Halfie, Bruce, Jan. Perhaps I should have used flash.|