(Not strictly boat-related, but the problem appeared while we were on boaty business)
When I last wrote about this I'd just managed to get the car home. A couple of days later I had a go at repairing it. The problem was that the clutch fluid reservoir was not holding the fluid. I had to remove it from the master cylinder to see what was going on.
The plastic reservoir was held on by a thin strip of metal passing under the body of the cylinder and fixed to two lugs on the reservoir by brass rivets.
I drilled out the brass rivet on one side, and lifted up the reservoir. The metal clip holding the reservoir to the body of the master cylinder had corroded and broken. This must be why the fluid suddenly leaked out.
But I tightened the bolts, dried off the leakage, and ... it seems to be holding. I took it for a test drive - in no time at all it was back to normal. I seem to have got away without having to bleed it.
Using a thin copper strip is not ideal. I'll have to replace it with something stronger. Or perhaps I should treat the car to a new master cylinder ...
Back to more obviously boaty stuff tomorrow.
Barbridge Saturday 24 February 2018 - Well if wasn't anywhere near as cold last night so I was a bit surprised to see ice in the reed line at Golden Nook. I decided to measure just how long t...
5 hours ago