Monday 30 March 2009

Talked to one lock keeper, drank two Lock Keepers

A much less eventful day today. It was cold last night, and the fire had gone out, so the first thing (as always) was to relight the stove. Despite the cold we'd somehow managed not to get up until 08:00. We were under way by 08:45. We had a fair amount of sunshine, and the breeze was light, but the lack of locks meant that I got colder and colder steering. Every now and then I'd swop with Jan so I could warm up inside. Jan, most of the time, was working on her dissertation for her MA (in Advanced Educational Practice).

At last (at 13:20) Foxton Locks came into sight. While waiting to descend we were kept entertained by the attempts of a Canaltime boat to tie up behind us. Jan's telling me not to be too disparaging ("They were probably novices") so enough said. (It was very funny though - when I went to assist they threw me a rope which wasn't actually attached to anything!)

Going down the flight the lock keeper mentioned that he'd had OwnerShips boats in the past. Now he has his own, which was moored at the top lock. At the junction we turned right to go to Market Harborough. Along the arm was today's woodpecker (audible) and a pair of kingfishers (highly visible).

After an unsuccessful search for a purveyor of coal (aside from horrible house coal at a garage) we have ended up in The Sugar Loaf, a Wetherspoon's pub, where I'm drinking a pint of Lock Keeper (Langton brewery, Leicestershire) and writing this. On a very slow (but free) wi-fi connection. Oh - the newsagent a mere stone's throw from the wharf sells coal, apparently, so we'll try there in the morning.

I'm being given the hurry-up, so I'll end here (and try the photo uploads another time). Kilby Bridge (possibly) tomorrow.

1 comment:

Vallypee said...

Well, I've just been catching up with all your previous posts that I've missed. You have so much cruising fun, I'm quite jealous! I have the feeling you narrowboaters do much more cruising than we do here in NL. I think it may have something to do with the super highway nature of the waterways here, and the perils attached to bad weather on fast running rivers... still, I wish we could get out a bit more often. Lovely accounts of your trips Halfie, and great that you now have mobile internet!