Saturday 31 August 2019

A Close Shave

As I was cleaning the side of the boat this morning Brandywine came past. We'd travelled a couple of hours further than them yesterday so I was surprised to see them so early. It transpired that they had not had much sleep as the pound they had moored in was losing water, causing their boat to tilt in the night. They said they'd wait for us in the next lock if we wanted, so I put away the bucket and cloth and set off.

I think this pair of boats do something with glass. I liked the reflections in the still water.

There was a close shave at one of the locks: WB Close Shave. This is one of the Waterways Experiences boats whose base was just above the lock.

As alluded to above, our locking companion today, as yesterday, was Brandywine. Most of the time, that is. That's not us in Lady Capel's Lock - somehow another boat got in that one.

Our last lock of the day was Boxmoor Lock. A cricket match was in progress next to the lock; after we'd tied up (at around 1630) we could hear its gentle sounds - the crack of bat on ball, applause from fielders and the occasional cries of "'Owzat!" - for a long time afterwards.

After tea on board we went for a walk on the moor. We saw a kingfisher on the River Bulbourne which crosses the moor. It seemed strange to see one not from the boat.

2 comments:

Helen Tidy said...

I spent many years as a child playing around Boxmoor lock while my Dad played cricket, my brother kept score and my Mum made the teas. My sister & I were left to our own devices!

Brian and Diana on NB Harnser said...

Ivor Caplan on Brandywine https://www.waterways.org.uk/about/organisation/trustees/ivor_caplan