When we came to the boat last month for a brief stopover I was perturbed to find that the bilge pump didn't work. It was the sort with an in-built float switch; there was enough water down there for it to have operated, but when I removed it and pressed the manual override it made a pathetic small noise and did nothing else.
Oh well, time to buy a new bilge pump, I thought. A new pump obtained, I installed it and ... the same result. It was only then that I thought of checking the voltage at the pump. 6V. Surely there must be shome mistake! I traced the wire back to the circuit breaker and then to the starter battery. Yup, only 6V there too.
Then I had my only bright idea of the day: I wired the bilge pump to the domestic battery bank. This is constantly being topped up by the solar panels so should be a better bet than the starter battery anyway. When we got home I ordered a new starter battery.
I fitted it yesterday - not an easy job as it lives in a wooden box tucked away on the swim and secured by inch-high steel upstands. All now seems tickety-boo. I have now installed a dedicated voltmeter so I can keep an eye on the battery's performance.
Today, then, we set off on our first trip of the year, travelling from Fazeley to Atherstone (above Lock 9). We're on our way to Debdale Wharf for blacking.
No photos, sorry, as I'm writing this on my telephone.
Droitwich and Back - Today's Canal - Droitwich The weather was again surprisingly mild and a largely sunny day had been forecast (wrong again!) As a result we decided to take t...
5 hours ago