Wednesday, 16 August 2017

Busy, busy, busy on the BCN - and a picture teaser

We made a late start to our boating today as we went to the funeral of a BCF member three miles away in King's Heath. Being at the basin at the top of Camp Hill Locks was very convenient. I spoke to the person on the boat in the arm, to our relief he was very happy for us to breast up to him. We did not want to hog the water point.

After yesterday's lonely boating up the Grand Union to Camp Hill it came as something of a surprise to find we were in a queue of boats waiting to go down the locks. There were three ahead of us and one came along behind. Two or three boats came up the flight while we went down. I've never seen these locks so busy.

At Bordesley Junction we turned right under the towpath bridge in the photo below.

The Garrison Locks were quicker as the slow hire boat (two in front down Camp Hill) had gone on on the Digbeth Branch, leaving the shared ownership boat Wigston in front.

Here's a picture teaser for you, spotted as we did this section.

Around the Nechells area I saw these large things in a secure compound. At first I thought they might be something to do with bridge supports, but then I wondered if they are part of high voltage distribution equipment. The "danger of death" sign might be a clue.

We stopped on the bollards by Butler's Bridge, Tyburn, on the Birmingham and Fazeley Canal, having made the sharp right turn at Salford Junction. After a brief shower of rain I cycled back to Camp Hill for the car.

We have now booked in to the IWA festival at Ilkeston so that's where we're heading. Have I already mentioned that?


Bill.S said...

Is the puzzle the pic of two sorts of riveted girders -one with ony two rows of rivets to the web, and another with four or more? And is the whole thing reflected in the water or lit by sunlight reflected from the water? Or is the puzzle the electrical equipment? Are the blue things the breakers?

Halfie said...

Bill, sorry, I wasn't clear. The puzzle was intended to be what you have correctly identified as riveted girders, the underside of a railway bridge. Not sure what you mean by the web.

Bill.S said...

Thanks Halfie. I was unclear too. I meant the web of the girder, the vertical bit that separates the strengh-giving flanges. Of course there will be an angle-piece between flange and web, so strictly speaking the rivets don't fix directly to the web.