Saturday 9 April 2011

Jan: I think I'm getting the hang of these locks now.


Stourton Junction, last night's mooring

Today we went on new waters. From Stourton Junction we went up the Stourbridge Canal and the Dudley No. 1 Canal, making detours along the Stourbridge Town Arm to Stourbridge; and the Fens Branch as far as we could get (the railway bridge) and the Stourbridge Extension Canal to the end.

As usual for us, Jan did the steering and I worked the locks. Jan was being ironic when she said, half way up the Stourbridge 16, "I think I'm getting the hang of these locks now."




the extent of the Stourbridge Extension Canal

Just below Delph Locks Ally and Ben joined us, having caught a train to Cradley Heath and walked from there.



I was hoping to be able to get onto the various arms above Parkhead Locks too, but the paddle gear of the bottom lock was padlocked.


Dudley Tunnel south portal

We tied up at Windmill End, ready to do the Bumblehole and Boshboil branches tomorrow ... and Hawne Basin, Netherton Tunnel, Tipton Caanal Titford Canal etc.

That'll have to do for now - it's very late!

edited for typo - and I got the name of the Titford Canal wrong

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tipton Caaaanal?!

Halfie said...

Anonymous, I've corrected both errors.

Anonymous said...

i didn't know that tipton was a typo too. poor daddio.