Wednesday 30 September 2009

Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness


We encountered some early morning mistiness on our drive to Birmingham the other day, and our fruit trees are heaving with apples and pears. Which would be a non sequitur were it not for Keats's Ode to Autumn. I think it's the best crop we've had in the 19 years we've been here in Norfolk.

The rotting pear caught my eye. I've seen the concentric rings before, but this year they're all over the place. I looked it up: it's brown rot, and is a fungal disease affecting apples and pears among other fruit.

A timelapse film of a rotting pear would be good: I'll see what I can do...


No update yet on a route for our forthcoming cruise on Shadow. I'll post about it soon. The photo above shows our mooring at the foot of Chester city walls at Easter; the photo below is of a bit of mist I found last summer (not autumn) on the Severn.

4 comments:

Jan said...

Good picture of Shadow. I like Chester!

Vallypee said...

Yes, autumn is here isn't it? I didn't find your association between mist and apples a non sequiteur. Very natural! Good photos as always Halfie. I like the bottom one.

Anonymous said...

I wonder whether the bumper crops everywhere will be harbinger of another cold winter? Indigo Dream is currently being pelted by crab apples from a tree overhanging the towpath :-)
Sue, Indigo Dream

Halfie said...

Sue, we'll probably be told we "need" another cold winter to kill off the bugs which, presumably, have been having a good time in the mild conditions recently.

Next door to our house is a big residential development at the moment (grrr). Their site office is a steel container which is directly underneath a huge "robin" pear tree. For the last few weeks there's been a loud "ding" as the next pear hits the roof. We can hear it from our house - to the builders it must sound like someone's chucking bricks at them - rather like how I imagine your crab apples sound hitting Indigo Dream!