Friday 18 September 2009

Cruise planning


We have a week's boating coming up next month, so I've been spending some of today's day off in the sun in the garden looking at possible routes. Shadow is currently moored at Tattenhall Marina on the Shroppie between Chester and Barbridge Junction, which gives several options: north through Chester to Ellesmere Port; south and east along the Middlewich Branch to Middlewich, thence north or south on the T&M; south down the Shroppie to the breach site at Shebdon Embankment, between Market Drayton and Norbury; or south and west along the LLangollen Canal.

The last option could be adapted to take in a new canal for us, the Montgomery Canal, which leaves the LLangollen at Frankton Junction, and which is navigable, according to CanalPlan, as far as Maesbury Marsh Bridge no. 79. This is my preferred option at the moment, I'll have to book a passage through Frankton Locks, though.

Why does one have to book to go through these locks?

The photo above is of Blaenavon Iron Works taken the last time we took a canal holiday in Wales.

1 comment:

Vallypee said...

Oh Halfie, I wish I had even one lock to go through at the moment. Work now means no escape until Christmas, and then it will be too cold, well for me, anyway. I doubt if we'll go out again before the spring.

Your last option sounds very appealing!