Saturday 12 September 2009

Photos, computers and cropping

I made a mistake for the first time the other day. No, that's not quite right. What I mean is: I made a mistake on my computer concerning photos the other day, and it was the first time I'd made that particular mistake. Here's what happened.

I load photos from my camera onto the iPhoto program which came with my Mac. All fine and easy. In order to put photos on my blog I have to "export" them, specifying what size I want them to be. Again, easy. (And so much easier than anything I've found so far for the PC.)

Sometimes I want to crop a photo for inclusion in a blog post, and here is where the potential for getting it wrong lies. Until the photo in question, I'd always made a duplicate of the photo before making a cropped version. For Tuesday's post I wanted to show a larger version of part of a photo, so I cropped it. Aargh! I'd cropped the original! And there was no way I knew of to get the original back (I'd already deleted it from my camera).

The only saving grace is that I'd already exported the original for publication, but in a much reduced file size. Of course, the particular photo was only a snapshot and of no great worth, but it could easily have happened to a more treasured image.

This is the photo which exists now only as something like 900 x 675 pixels (from its original 4000 x 3000).


5 comments:

Vallypee said...

Hi Halfie, I don't know if you know the 'revert to original' option in iphoto, but you can get your old full sized photo back by clicking on it. I believe that the original is never deleted, so you can always do it. It's under the 'photos' option on the iphoto menu bar. In fact it's just two items below the one for making a duplicate. I found it with some relief some months ago when I did the same thing and my maccy partner told me about it.

Andrew said...

Strange how we get attached to various programs & swear they are the easiest things to use. I fled from iphoto, and can't now move from ACDSee Pro v1, despite 2 ugrades to that, and a clear imperative to learn Photoshop.

Photoshop is still the daddy, but I scratch my head every time I open it.

The 'easy-to-use' progs like iphoto & Picasa (perhaps its nearest relative in the PC arena) mystify me!

But as George Martin showed with the Beatles, you don't need advanced technology to work magic with art.

Andrew

Halfie said...

Wow, VallyP, that's amazing! Thank you! That was so easy - I clicked where you suggested - and it did indeed "revert to original"! And I'd shut the computer down between times. I need never make a duplicate photo for cropping purposes again.

Andrew, you're right: we get attached to certain things and don't want to let go. It's the safety thing; the fear of the unknown. It is with me anyway. I'm sure George Martin would have used the best technology available at the time, but I know what you mean. With today's super-advanced technology we haven't come up with anything to surpass The Beatles (in the world of popular music, anyhow). I'm sticking with iPhoto for as long as I can!

Vallypee said...

Glad to help, Halfie! I think iPhoto is brilliant, especially the latest version. I don't have it yet as it's a bit of an investment and my rather ageing Powerbook probably doesn't support it, but my other half does, and the editing options are great. Even with my older version does quite a bit though.

Vallypee said...

Sorry, that was a good example of bad proof reading on my part. I meant my other half does have the new iphoto and even my older version of iphoto does quite a lot too! Apologies for any confusion.