Tuesday 14 July 2020

Slow progress at Foxton

After a slightly earlier start than usual we arrived at the top of Foxton Locks at 1100. We appeared to be fifth in the queue of boats wanting to go down, but said boats were spaced out so much that you could have got another three in front of the boat we were behind.

Boats - presumably the first allowed onto the flight - were already in the upper staircase coming up, so I thought it wouldn't be long before we'd be under way.

Wrong. We didn't start down until 1315. I have never known it take so long. A volunteer lockie told me that now leaks from the lock chambers had been repaired there was "too much water" and the sideponds were at risk of flooding. The same volunteer tried to get me to open the top lock top gate before he had filled it. Hmm. I think he was a bit embarrassed when I pointed out that it would be a bit difficult.

Things progressed reasonably smoothly once we entered the flight. At the bottom Jan turned right onto the Market Harborough Arm while I operated both swing bridges. The road swing bridge was heavy to get going - I don't remember it being so before.

There were just three visiting boats at MH; we tied up in a gap between two of them. We both enjoyed a mixed grill at Wetherspoon's and are saving the shopping trip for tomorrow.

No comments: