Saturday 18 July 2020

Sealing the mushroom vent

I'm sure there's more weed in the canals now than in previous Julys. Some of it gets round our prop. And that will be because there have been far fewer boats moving around to keep the growth down. The extra weed helps to clarify the water: I can actually see the blades and weed wrapped round the prop shaft when I lift the weed hatch - sometimes fish too.

We moved the five miles or so to Market Harborough this morning. After shopping - including a trip to Screwfix for me - I sealed down the mushroom base with Sika Sikaflex EBT+. I hope it will allow me to remove the base in the future should that be necessary.

This is the scene after I treated the rust and painted with Hammerite, before applying the sealant.

After watching the F1 qualifying highlights we went for another walk into the town, going along the towpath to the alleyway to a residential street first.

I have never seen the permanent moorings empty before. Where has everybody gone?

Tomorrow we return to Debdale Wharf ready for blacking (take two).

No comments: