We filled up with diesel at Fazeley Mill Marina this morning: 70 litres after 69.6 engine hours. The one litre per hour rate of consumption is much less than our overall average last year of 1.24 l/h. I put this down to a lot of stationary engine running to charge batteries.
Just outside the marina we saw a pair of swans with a young family. I counted four cygnets on one parent's back (only two are visible here).
Today the same thing happened. Scrunched up newspaper burnt, but the kindling was barely even charred when I looked at it after a few minutes. On feeling around the baffle plate I immediately discovered the cause of the problem. Great rusty flakes from the inside of either the flue or the chimney were on top of the baffle plate blocking the flue. I cleared all the rubbish by hand and relit the fire. Success! It's drawing fine now and the fire lit easily.
We do have a carbon monoxide detector, but this could have been dangerous. Memo to self - and you - check the flue is clear if the stove doesn't seem to work as it should.
We stopped for today after the first two locks of the Atherstone flight.
The Greek helped me with the Assembly Table - It didn’t rain until late afternoon and with that knowledge in the morning we drove 20km east to a tree nursery where Jan carefully examined their select...
3 hours ago