Exhibit A, on the left, my old phone. Exhibit B, on the right, my new phone.
Wetting one: 26th August. Accidental. Up to thigh level. Number of damp phones: 0.
Wetting two: 27th August. Deliberate. Up to neck level. Number of damp phones: 0.
Wetting three: 31st August. Accidental. Up to head level. Number of damp phones: 2.
Perhaps I should have thought to get the phones out of my pockets as soon as I entered the water that third time. But I didn't. I was hoping that after opening them up, shaking the Thames water out, and drying them in the sun the next day they would work. Well, one phone did, my work phone; but my personal phone, a cheap Nokia, would get a signal only intermittently. Time for a new one. It's a Nokia 1616. Another cheap one (£19.99 including £10 top-up, so costing me effectively £9.99), and has a radio and a torch. The radio works only when the earphones are plugged in, so I'll have to remember to keep them with me.
In future perhaps I'll empty my pockets when boating. At least I didn't have my camera round my neck!