Thursday 6 May 2010

The Granny Effect - in pictures


I wrote about the Granny Effect some months ago, and a few bloggers have picked up on it. (Bill and Debbie of Humdinger; Captain Ahab; and Nev of Waterlily. Indeed, Andrew Denny himself acknowleged the effect here.)

Three days ago Andrew wrote about my failed attempt to buy a boat. The effect of his post on the number of visitors to my blog is graphically illustrated in the image above, taken from StatCounter . There I am, bumbling around with between 40 and 100 visits per day, when BANG! Straight up to 217 visits on the day of Andrew's post, and subsiding again pretty swiftly afterwards.


Here's another blip, from October 2009, again due to the Granny Effect. (The post responsible was this.)

Incidentally I picked StatCounter more or less at random after seeing it on someone else's blog. It seems geared towards businesses rather than blogs, but it serves its purpose. What do others use?

1 comment:

Vallypee said...

Cool graphs Halfie. The Granny effect seems to be dramatic. I knew The GB blog was popular but it seems to embrace you in reflected glory ;-)