Thursday 18 February 2010

Planning for the Thames this summer

The last time I was on a river navigation was last April when we used part of the Trent to get to the Trent and Mersey Canal.


emerging onto the Trent from the Soar: the entrance to the Erewash Canal is dead ahead; Shardlow is to the left; Nottingham is to the right

I much prefer canals to rivers, but, as the IWA National Festival is being held at Beale Park on the Thames this year, and as I have three weeks on Willow in August/September (subject to my request for leave being approved), it seems that we might go to the festival by boat, and therefore by river.

I've had some initial thoughts about a possible route: from Willow's mooring on the Paddington Branch we could explore the Lee and Stort Navigations, before a trip up the Thames to Beale Park. There might be time for an excursion up the Oxford Canal before having to return to the Paddington Branch.

Lots of river, then, but new territory in the Lee and Stort.

Or we could shun rivers (and the festival) entirely and head north up the GU. (But I did the section of canal from Bulls Bridge to Buckby only last year ...)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure how your dates will pan out but the St Pancras Cruising Club is planning nb convoy trips to the Thames Barrier for visitors coming south for the IWA. If you haven't done it before then it's a great opportunity to explore the tideway.

http://www.stpancrascc.co.uk/comingevents.html

Sue, Indigo Dream

Anonymous said...

We like the Lee and Stort and think it is well worth a visit. How about going down the Wey on your way along the Thames? Well worth a visit.
Kath (nb Herbie)

Halfie said...

Sue, thanks, I'll check it out.

Kath, I'll have to admit the Wey hasn't weighed on my mind, but where there's a will...