Sunday 21 February 2010

Holes for hoses?


I noticed the other day something I hadn't spotted before. Let into the side of Foundry Bridge over the River Wensum in Norwich is a curved piece of iron conduit.


There's a similar thing on Blackfriars Bridge a little further upstream.


I assume the conduit is - or used to be - for use by the fire service so a hose could be let down into the river without it kinking. Many bridges on the BCN have red fire doors for this purpose, although I don't know how the Birmingham fire fighters prevent their hoses kinking!


Foundry Bridge, in the top photo, was built in 1886 of wrought iron according to this website. Another site, Broadland Memories, has good information on this and other Norwich bridges.

3 comments:

Andy Tidy said...

I am sure your explanation is correct but I think that they also look like cheeky tongues sticking out - a bit like a modern days gargoyle waterspouts on a church.
Andy

Halfie said...

Yes, I did wonder whether they could have been for water run-off from the bridge deck. As for use by the fire service, I would have thought that if they needed some water in a hurry they'd just sling the hose over the parapet. Why bother searching for a hole at ground level? Hang on - I have a cousin who works for the fire service. I'll ask him (if I can find an e-mail address...)

Brian and Diana on NB Harnser said...

John, I think you a right, I knew about the Birming ones but not our local ones. I wonder if there are any more in the area?
The reason the FB dont just chuck it over the top is that the pump suction is not very flexable and the pump suction is much lower than the handrail so having a lead out is much better.