Sunday 31 January 2010

Ice walk

Yesterday's walk took place in similar conditions to December's outing: snow and ice. Only this time there was less snow and more ice. We'd gone as a group to Little Dunham in Norfolk, and walked a circular route on crunchy footpaths and slippery roads.

I like the way this puddle has cracked:


The person apparently leading the group here is actually an interloper: a local out for a walk at the same time as us.


The route took us across the dismantled Lynn and Dereham Railway (opened 1846, closed 1968).


A horrible sight awaits anyone who looks over the bridge parapet (either side).


Jan stepping carefully into Sporle:


The sun shone for most of the walk, and despite a chilly breeze, we kept warm. A lot of the time. though, we were looking down at our feet, making sure not to slip.


We saw a lot of these...




... and one of these.


The village pub had closed down, so (for us) it was back home for a soupy lunch.

2 comments:

Wozie said...

I really appreciate your country walks accompanied by fantastic photos.
They remind me of the happy rambles I had back in my home town.
I particularly like the 'masked crusader' pony, hi ho Silver!
nb Oakfield

Halfie said...

Thanks for your encouragement, Wozie. I sometimes wonder about putting non-canal related posts in, but hey, it's my blog! Glad you appreciate it.