Monday 25 February 2008

The Towpath to Wigan Pier

Nine Week Cruise - day 32 - Tuesday 2nd August 2005

Plank Lane to Castlefield Basin, Manchester


0635 Got up. Bow-hauled boat 100 yards to the water point just before the lift bridge (didn't want to disturb anyone by starting the engie so early) and watered up. Got under way properly at 0840.

At 1012 I winded just before Moss Bridge and tied up. By my calculations I have about 45 minutes to cycle to Wigan, have a look round, and get back to the boat. (I had arranged to meet my wife and daughter off the train at Walkden Station at 1515).

So I cycled up the towpath to Wigan, passing an interesting dry dock on the way. Found the famous pier, opposite the new "interpretation centre".

Back to the boat and got going at 1120, a little later than planned. Will have to get a move on. While waiting ten minutes at Plank Lane lift bridge I offered to transport six children to the other side (it was all right - their parents were on the bank). The children were thrilled! Tied up at the pub just before Bridgewater Marina and drove to the station. Under way again at 1635, now with Jan and Alison on board. In a few minutes we were passing Worsley Delph, one of my earliest canal memories. My uncle and aunt used to live in Swinton, not far away along the East Lancs Road, and I remember being taken as a young boy to look at the wonderfully orange water and the intriguing barred tunnel entrances. Later, while at Salford University, I came back to marvel again, and now here I was doing it properly, by boat.

Moored up at Castlefield Basin in the middle of Manchester at 2015, having passed over the Irwell on the Barton Swing Aqueduct. Another famous piece of canal history in the bag.

No comments: