Wednesday 6 February 2008

Oil and water

Nine day cruise - day 19 - Wednesday 20th July 2005

Leeds to Dowley Gap


David steering

Up at 0710, and away from Leeds Canal Basin at 0755. We found sharing the L&L locks to be the thing to do, as they were slow and difficult with just one boat. We shared with "Dill" until Rodley.


In a lock at three o'clock

At Saltaire we stopped to have a look round this amazing town. I can't believe that David took no pictures, but I can't find them. I cycled to Idle to buy oil and filter from Bargain Motor Spares. At 2115 we moored just above Dowley Gap locks and I started to change the oil and filter. Never done it before on a boat. I successfully managed to pump out the old oil, but found that the filter wouldn't turn. I had a chain wrench with me but it wouldn't fit past an obstruction. At this stage I was distracted by David reporting a wet carpet at the front. It wasn't clear where the water was coming from, so David started taking up the carpet while I resorted to hammer and screwdriver to remove the filter. Oil and filter changed at 148.4 hours.

No comments: