Tuesday 9 July 2019

Widebeam meets widebeam Tranquil Rose and a Lancaster bomber flies over

We left the delightful South Oxford Canal today and are now tied up in our favourite Braunston spot below the Admiral Nelson. As we came along the combined section with the GU we caught up with the widest-looking of wide beams diagonally across the cut.

To be fair, he was merely getting out of the way of an oncoming widebeam. Hotel boat Tranquil Rose came past us this afternoon.

I remember talking to a couple on one of the Braunston Turn bridges a few years ago; they were talking about buying a hotel boat business. I thought I had blogged about it but I can't find the relevant post. Speaking to the man steering, while in the lock, it was immediately clear that he was the one on the bridge that time. I thought it was four years ago; he said it was 2010! It's good that the business is still going strong.

As we came past The Boathouse pub a Lancaster flew overhead.

Nice and low and slow, so I could get a half-decent photo. It's nice to be getting our own flypasts!

We walked to Daventry for supplies this afternoon. Well, I walked with the bike and cycled when we got to the A45. When both paniers were full I cycled back to unload into the fridge and cycled back. We ate in the Wetherpoon.

No comments: