Wednesday 21 December 2011

Glimpsing old engines

I mentioned the other day that I might be going to look at a boat. Well, a viewing is arranged for after Christmas. I know I mustn't get too excited about it as there is still plenty of time in which to find the right one, but it does sound interesting. And I mean that literally.

I don't know much about "vintage" engines, but I like the noise they make. Are they much more difficult or expensive to maintain than modern ones? Are they worth the possible extra hassle? Are there other, hidden, disadvantages to owning a boat with an old engine?

As I explore the waterways my attention is always caught by the sound of a slow-revving narrowboat engine. If my camera is to hand I sometimes try to grab a photo of the engine - invariably in its own room with the side hatches open - as it passes.

Here's a Ruston-powered boat on the Llangollen Canal in July 2010.


I didn't catch the name of the boat, but I did snap the engine as it nipped by.


The engine in the boat I'm going to look at is a Lister FR2, about which I know almost nothing.

5 comments:

Nev Wells said...

Always been tempted by the benefits of an internal engine room for access etc. One thing that I have a concern over is the breathing of the exhaust. We recently went to Stenson and back and I think I overdosed on wood smoke !!

We recently looked at a 70 footer with an engine room with a JD3 in it. All the benefits of an engine room but with a new engine. It just sounds like a tractor rather than a pop pop vintage engine we all aspire to....

Andy Tidy said...

Halfie
I am with Nev in this. I am really attracted to vintage engines but its the smoke and noise which would bug me, as well at the reliability issues. I dont think I could take all that smoke in my face and Helen would struggle with the noise in the cabin. Vintage enthusiasts will poo poo me for this but no matter what my heart tells me my head tells me I know I will go with a modern block.
Oh check the fuel consumption and oil too - some of the old engines drink oil and you you have to buy it by the 10 gallon.
Andy

Halfie said...

Nev - I don't know what happened to my original reply to your comment, but it went something like: I probably breathe more noxious fumes on my cycle to work than I would behind the exhaust on a boat. Ah -the heady scent of woodsmoke! I can't wait!

Is the 70 footer in the frame?


Andy, my head tells me you're right. But my heart says you're being a tad boring! Aargh! But they look and sound so lovely!

Nick Holt said...

I'm on my fourth boat now and have had a 'historic' engine in each - a Petter, 2x Listers and a Russell Newbury... each one had a totally different 'character', but each one gave unfailing service, and the sounds and smells aminated the boat and made each boat 'live'. Is there any finer sound on the cut than a beautifully slow revving old engine - it just feels right to me - so I'm with you - go with your heart rather than your head - and enjoy that old engine, in it's own engine room... best wishes and Happy Christmas Nick

Halfie said...

Nick, thanks for your encouragement and your Christmas wishes. Sorry for the delay in replying - I've had very little internet access. Happy Christmas to you.