Saturday 20 March 2010

Spot the difference


May 2008


March 2010


Top picture:

red; worn out; rusty; front gear change broken; mudguards barely attached; tyres cracked; saddle a mess. The old bike.

Bottom picture:

black; in excellent condition; no rust. The new bike.


But there are actually a remarkable number of similarities.

Same style of dropped handlebars with brake lever extensions; same method of (frame-mounted) gear changing; same frame construction and size.

I bought the old bike from Phil Corley Cycles in Milton Keynes with £100 I was left by my Granny in, I think, 1984. Since then it's been hammered. I reckon I've done at least 60,000 miles on it, and when I stopped using it a couple of weeks ago, like the legendary broom, there wasn't much left that was original (only the frame, brake levers and calipers, rack, pedals). It's been in a major road traffic collision; it's been mildly crushed between a low bridge and the boat's cabin top; its saddle has been wrecked by Wrenbury Lift Bridge.

I bought the "new" bike from a garage in a nearby village. The man there buys up bikes from police auctions and collects abandoned ones from the University of East Anglia, and accepts donations. He does them up, and sells them in aid of East Anglia's Children's Hospices. My bike has hardly ever been ridden. Indeed, it must have been taking up space in someone's garage for years. I've just searched for the name on the internet, and the few references to it seem to date it to the 1980s, making it probably the same age as my old bike! And that would explain the similarities, I suppose.

The bike man gave me the purple metal mudguards from a scrap bike as the originals were pathetically short. My test ride was in the rain; I got a wet bottom from all the spray flung at me from the back wheel. You will notice that I've transferred across the paniers, the D-lock, the lights, the bell and the pump. It's a lot heavier than when I tested it!

Now, the question is: will it be suitable for towpaths?

11 comments:

Jan said...

It will be as suitable as the old one, and you did plenty of tow path miles on that. Just watch out for recently trimmed hawthorn hedges!

Anonymous said...

You've gone all colour co-ordinated in a green sorta way, it's called blending in with the surroundings?

Halfie said...

Only a little bit of greenish writing, Heth, unless your computer's feeling sick...

Anonymous said...

Next time you come, I would like you to eliminate the squeak when I apply the brakes on my bike, please.

H. Senior

Anonymous said...

Nope, on further inspection it is indeed black? Or am I going colour blind? Or have you been playin about with photos again just to fool us all?

eeee questions questions,,,

H

Halfie said...

Oh, the bike! I thought you were talking about the colour of some of the text. No, I haven't been messing with the photos: it is indeed black, with purplish mudguards off another old bike. I've just about managed to stop them scraping on the wheels now.

Nev Wells said...

Not a lot of room between the top of the seat and the top of the crossbar - you take care when stopping.

Did you not fancy a nice new one from a bike to work scheme ..... I'm very tempted !

Nev

Halfie said...

Nev, how could it be any different? Aren't all bikes like that?

Yes, I have considered the bike to work scheme, but I don't think I'd like to take a brand spanking new bike boating - I'd be too worried about it being on show the whole time. Now one option, which my brother has gone for, is a folding bike. I could still do that. Easy to slip in the car, and easy to hide away on board. Don't think I'd like to do a regular commute on a folder though.

Nev Wells said...

Halfie,

Bromptons are the way forward.... fold down real small, fast to fold and easy to ride plus they are still made in this country. I have one I brought off ebay about three years ago and I use an electric one for intersite travel at work.(pool bike)

I have used it when taking the car for a service and when we had Comet to get back from Streethay after dropping comet off.

Bit of a Brompton fan !!


Nev

Halfie said...

My brother's is a Dahon. He's pleased with it, but it was he who said he wouldn't use it for the commute. I like to buy British - I consider my two cars (Volvos, combined age 64 years) almost as British as they are Swedish!

Halfie said...

H Senior, OK, I'll have a look.