Sunday 28 June 2009

Braunston Historic Boat Rally


Well, we went. And the weather, after a misty start for us driving from Norfolk, was warm, if not very sunny. I did some filming for the (yet to be commissioned) piece about Russell Newbery, the engine maker. I also found time, but not much, to take a few photos.




While at the Russell Newbery stand I was introduced to Steve, the owner of Brasso. He took me to his boat and kindly let me film as he started up his 25-year-old DM2, explaining what he was doing as he did so. Should be useful in the final film.


no photo of Brasso from the day, but here's one I took earlier: in November last year on the Stratford Canal.

Because I was there for work purposes, filming some of the action of the rally, and the Russell Newbery display engine, I didn't really feel I was enjoying the show as much as I should. When I judged I had enough footage I walked up the locks, encountering Warrior on the way. I stopped to take a couple of photos, and Sarah and Jim turned up just at that moment. It was good to meet both of you. I was especially honoured by Jim starting up Warrior's monster three-cylinder National for me. What a splendid beast! I swear the ground shook with each heartbeat.


Our plan had been to continue to Birmingham but Jan and I were feeling too tired to get there and home again in the time we had left, so we drove home. Jan picked me up from the car park of the Admiral Nelson pub to save me carrying the (heavy) camera and tripod too much further.

2 comments:

Vallypee said...

Marvellous photos Halfie. The really old traditional boats at the top are my absolute favourites (being the owner of an authentic 19th century barge myself). I love the way some of the newer boats are built, ut the traditional ones still have that extra something. Warrior has a beautiful hull too,

Brian and Diana on NB Harnser said...

I was the strange man that accosted you at the end of the basin in Braunston Marina on Saturday afternoon.
Brian and Diana