Tuesday 2 June 2009

Birmingham new main line?


A few days ago we went up to the North Norfolk Railway, which runs various steam and diesel trains between Sheringham and Holt. It's a very scenic line, with picture postcard views of the sea. Half-way along is Weybourne Station, which is where we usually park. I'm getting closer to the point of this post, bear with me! At Weybourne Station there's often a bookshop with lots of second hand magazines, mostly railway ones (which don't interest me). But there always seems to be one small box with a few canal mags. Before I got my subscription to Canal Boat I used to feed my appetite for canal literature from that small box, and cheaply too, at 25p a throw. This time I picked up a couple of Waterways Worlds (hmm, I've read them already - should have got more!)

An old wagon houses a model railway, but what caught my eye was the canal in the layout. Perhaps it's the BCN new main line as it has a towpath on both sides.




Oh, all right then, here are some full size railway pics. This train has come from Sheringham and is passing the Weybourne sidings approaching Weybourne Staion.


These were the days of seriously heavy engineering.


For the last runs of the day they use a DMU or a railbus. If you're quick enough you can get a seat with a view through the cab.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought the model was real at first! Nice one Halfie. VallyP