Saturday 21 November 2009

Camera photographing camera

For the return part of our recent cruise, from Queen's Head on the Montgomery Canal to Tattenhall Marina on the Shropshire Union, I discovered that I could mount the timelapse camera in the forward-facing window.


The camera came with a "windscreen mount" which has a sucker similar to that used for car satnavs. With a bit of bending of the stiff gooseneck I managed to get the camera to point forwards. Now I didn't have to worry about rain or security (as long as the sucker held). Most of what you can see in the above picture is the mount; there's one small corner of the actual timelapse camera visible.

I shall adopt this mounting technique for all future cruises - it was good not having to worry about the camera being knocked off the roof or bow, or getting a soaking.


I tried to photograph the camera from the outside, but I got a little too much reflection! The timelapse camera itself managed to capture me taking its picture.

2 comments:

Andy Tidy said...

So its a purpose made timelapse camera - not an SLR set on automatic?

Halfie said...

That's right, Andy. It's a Nikkai Easyrecord which looks a bit like a mobile phone, only with just two very small buttons and a tiny green LED to show when it's on/capturing. It records onto an SD card: I use the maximum size, 8Gb. Intervals between photos can be set between 3 seconds and 3 minutes. That setting is done by effectively reformatting the memory card, so I always save any sequences before adjusting the interval time.