Tuesday 13 October 2009

Ink Floyd


(I originally mistyped the title of this post, but then I looked at what I'd done and thought, yes, that's appropriate.)

In his column in the latest issue of Canal Boat magazine Steve Haywood mentions the Pink Floyd bridge (or remains of bridge) on the Oxford/Grand Union Canal between Napton Junction and Braunston Turn. He suggests that the "brick art" (my words) appeared 40 years ago, and wonders what the person who painted the simple graffiti thinks now of the rock band which so inspired him. No such musing on the band itself: Steve calls them "the biggest purveyors of drab middle-aged, middle-of-the-road rock since The Sweet".

Steve, you, like me, were obviously a fan in the 1970s. But surely it's you (again, like me) who has become middle-aged? I still love the music from that era, although I don't listen to it much now, I admit. But you probably do still like Pink Floyd's early output. You're railing against the later stuff. And I would have to agree: it's not as good. (The band has to be Waters/Gilmour/Mason/Wright to count; Barrett was a fantastic founder member.) But isn't it we who have grown old?

This is one of the landmarks I look out for when cruising this length. Now I think about it, it's surprising that it's lasted this long without being defaced (can graffiti be defaced?) or removed. I hope it lasts another 40 years.

1 comment:

Vallypee said...

I am also of the middle aged brigade, but will go down fighting to defend the music of my youth. I still love Pink Floyd's music and also that of David Gilmour's more recent solo efforts. Maybe it says something about the stature of the band and the esteem in which they are held that the graffiti hasn't been tampered with.