Tuesday 15 July 2008

Castlefield Basin, and the Museum of Science and Industry

I had forgotten how busy this place is with trains. There's at least one train going past on one of the viaducts all the time, or so it seems.

Trip so far (in very brief summary - more to follow when I can upload pictures): Northwich - Anderton - Preston Brook - Stretford - Leigh - Wigan - Aintree (almost) - Burscough Bridge - Tarleton - Burscough Bridge - Wigan - Stretford - Manchester.

I hadn't been to the Museum of Science and Industry before. I had been missing a real treat. There's an impressive amount to see: my first stop was at the display of old industrial steam engines. Amazingly many of them were in steam, the steam coming from a gas boiler in the basement. The site is based on the original Manchester terminus of the Manchester and Liverpool Railway, opened in 1830 if I remember correctly.

Our holiday is almost at an end. Despite the rain it's been very enjoyable.

1 comment:

Halfie said...

I'm not really old enough to remember the opening of the Manchester and Liverpool Railway. Just thought I'd make that clear.