Wednesday 19 December 2007

Losing Harecastle Tunnel

Nine week cruise - day 8 Saturday 09/07/05
Weston-upon-Trent to Hardings Wood


Tree surgery on the T and M

Up at 0555 and off at 0645. Continued north on the Trent and Mersey, and met Jan at Etruria at 1500. She'd driven from Norwich, having now broken up from school. Embarked upon a bout of car shuffling: I drove from Etruria and looked for the south portal of Harecastle Tunnel. It's a lot easier finding it by boat! I eventually found it and parked up. Met the boat and just made the last passage through the tunnel at 1615. On the other side I cycled back over the hill to the car and then drove to Scholar Green where I left it in a residential cul-de-sac. I hoped it would be OK for a couple of weeks. Then I cycled back to the boat.

At 2000 we moored just past the Hall Green Branch on the Macclesfield Canal just north-west of Hardings Wood Junction. Now we're on unexplored territory and looking forward to Bugsworth and Standedge.

Today:
10.8 hours
21 miles 2 furlongs
16 locks

Cumulative:
67.0 h; 146 m 0 f; 62 l

No comments: