Saturday 8 November 2008

"It came off in my (friend's) hands, guv"


My friend and colleague, Ewan, fellow owner of an aged Volvo, asserted yesterday morning that I'd never be able to guess what had happened to him earlier that day. He was wrong. I guessed that his car had broken (but it would have taken me a while to come up with the precise fault). As he was entering the car park the steering wheel came apart in his hands.

Whoops.

At lunchtime we manoeuvred the car into a space and had a closer look.


One of the two spokes had broken. The metal is aluminium, and virtually impossible to repair (I'm told). So Brian, who runs Amazonia in Suffolk, and who repairs our cars, is going to bring a steering wheel for a P1800 with him when he cycles in to Norwich tomorrow. I'll be there to assist, and to get him to have a quick look at my Amazon's handbrake (he doesn't know about that yet).


Must remember my mallet. I'll just go and get it...

1 comment:

Brian and Diana on NB Harnser said...

I have a friend who welds aluminium, rebuilds outboard props etc. He may be able to do it for you but it would never look "as new" but if you are stuck it may help.
Brian
ditchcrawler@gmail.com